* Please note many locations combine the two below classes and is entitled FITMOM 2 BE/Yoga Vibe COMBO when registering.*
FITMOM 2 BE
FITMOM 2 BE is designed for women that want to stay active & fit throughout pregnancy. By increasing muscular balance and improving cardiovascular endurance, a well-trained pregnant woman goes into labour with an advantage that will help her endure the physical demands of delivery.
Women who exercise during pregnancy report an overall feeling of wellness and improved self-esteem. FITMOM2Be will build confidence in your body as you prepare for the journey of motherhood.
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE FOR THE MOM:
- Fewer complaints of constipation, swelling, leg cramps, varicose veins, fatigue, and extra weight gain
- Postural improvements result from exercise causing reduced back pain.
- Exercise also helps to improve circulation and reduces pelvic and rectal pressure
- Research from New York University indicates that active prenatal women in the 1st trimester reduce the likelihood of miscarriage by up to 40%
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE FOR THE BABY:
- Increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to babies of exercising mothers.
- Higher APGAR scores (Activity / Pulse / Grimace / Appearance /Respiration) which mean babies are generally more alert and active.
- Easier time establishing breastfeeding.
- Tend to have more lean muscle mass, which means, generally speaking, these babies will be stronger.
Fitmom recommends that anyone who is pregnant check with their doctor before engaging in any type of exercise program.
YOGAVIBE 4 BIRTH
Yoga is a proven and powerful transformative practice that integrates body, mind and spirit. Each class will guide you through gentle asanas (postures) to open, stretch and strengthen your changing body. Relaxation & breathing techniques that you practice in class are known to be useful in managing labour pain, creating a focused and relaxed state of mind for labour & delivery. You will also learn yoga postures that emulate labor positions and help make labor most effective. Practicing yoga during pregnancy can enhance the union between mother and child through visualization and meditation.
COUPLES YOGA AND LABOUR PREPARATION
(This class is a scheduled workshop. Check upcoming events or contact your local FITMOM for details.)
In this workshop you will learn postures that promote intimacy and relaxation through touch and closeness, as well as effective positions for labor & birth. This workshop is also designed to help partners learn supportive, loving ways to connect through labour and delivery. Topics covered will be:
- Breathing and relaxation skills
- Partner massage
- Intimacy and pregnancy
- Stages of labour and delivery and more.
FITMOM advocates exercise during pregnancy. We recognize that there are contraindications to exercise in pregnancy that are outlined by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (A.C.O.G).